Grand Rapids Street Fighter would like to proudly announce that effective August 11th, 2012 we now have a fully-sponsored, local competitive team in the Grand Rapids area. Our sponsored team will represent GRSF in both in-state and out-of-state tournaments starting with Season’s Beatings the last weekend of September. The main goal of the GRSF team is to provide the opportunity of an all expenses paid (travel/hotel/registration) sponsorship to not only local Grand Rapids players, but to players across the state via a “play-in spot”.
Our team will consist of three players to start, and may branch out and expand based on how successful we are. Brandon Poeder (Swifty McQuick), Matt Meade (Slappy), and Geoff Van Der Linden (G-Boobie) will be managers/organizers for the team.
Introducing our GRSF team:
- Joshua Smedley (Stabicron) – GRSF SSFIVAE Representative
- Kelly Mankoski (Kelter Skelter) – GRSF UMvC3 Representative
- Play-in Spot (???) – GRSF Representative to be determined by Ranbat rankings
- We will have one play-in spot for every out-of-state tournament that is open to any player in the state that is not already corporately sponsored. The play-in spot is determined by Ranbat rankings after a season that alternates between SSFIVAE and UMvC3.
On top of our new sponsorship, we have also worked out special events that will take place in the near future. These events are as follows:
- Pre-Release Events
- Starting with Tekken Tag Tournament 2, we will have a pre-release event for fighting games.
- Pro-Sponsored Events
- In the near future, we will also have special events focused on a well-respected pro player from across the country visiting our event to offer their advice and tips to the group. We may also have additional “knockout” bonuses if someone can beat that particular pro player in a set of matches.
Questions and Shout-Outs
If you have any questions, or would like to help out in any capacity, please contact Brandon Poeder (Swifty McQuick). We would also like to thank our corporate sponsor GrandLAN gaming center for all of their support.